Thursday, May 15, 2014

Early Parenthood: The First Three Weeks

Little Everett Alan turned 3 weeks old on Tuesday and a LOT has happened…one thing that hasn’t happened yet is his due date!  That’s not for another three days (May 18).  These beginning weeks of his life have been marked very much by juxtaposition.  I feel like the same person I was before, but at the same time have grown so much.  Mothering has felt very natural and easy to me, but is not without a steep learning curve and moments of exasperation, frustration, and even a couple panicky moments as well.  The most striking revelation about becoming a mother is the very clear feeling that despite the newness of everything, there is no other way.  Everett Alan has joined our life and it is unimaginable to envision a picture without him in it.
SO fortunate to have this little guy lighting up our lives
We love him
The first month has been all about relaxing together skin to skin.  Wouldn't trade it for anything!


THE FIRST WEEK WAS THE HARDEST

Still in the hospital, after the birth I felt so elated at having successfully given birth to a new little human in the way I did, and I felt proud and accomplished.  Mission complete!  Right!?  It wasn’t long before I started to realize that instead of the mission being complete, it was indeed only just beginning.  I have never in my life felt in such utter need of recovery while at the same time needing to learn and accomplish so much. 

Breastfeeding

Breast feeding was HARD – the nurses told us that late pre-term babies often have a more difficult time getting the hang of breast feeding – every time he went to breast he fell asleep and apparently he didn’t have a good latch besides.  Not that I knew what a good latch looked like!  My nipples started to hurt and get really sore and raw and I dreaded the feedings that came every three hours, followed immediately by pumping which resulted in nothing more than a drop or two of milk, if that. The pumping was to facilitate my milk coming in in the absence of his ability to really pick up feeding right away.  I just sat there in the hospital bed, enjoying holding him against my chest, looking at the clock and dreading the next hour long round of feeding and pumping.  After about three days, my milk came in and my breasts were full, hard, knotted, and uncomfortable.  Now instead of feeling fear of pumping with no results, I was afraid of too much milk all bound up in my breasts.  I never did get engorged breasts though, and for that I fully and completely thank my mother, who helped me with breast massage.  She showed me how to loosen up the initial milk and getting it flowing.  Without her help and support, I feel sure that my breasts would have become engorged, as I had no idea what to do.  As for the latching issues, after about a week, we consulted the La Leche League’s The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to get some tips about how to help him to latch better.  A week of frustration, and sore, raw, scabbed nipples melted away in about two days, as I learned how to facilitate a better latch in him.   
I worked hard to pump this paltry amount of milk right when it first started coming in.

Milk drunk!!

Recovery

I have never felt at once not sick, but at the same time so remarkably and completely drained, exhausted, and overwhelmed.  Getting up to pee was a monumental task, as was showering, which I could have never done alone in the first several days. 

The apex of my exhaustion and feelings of being overwhelmed came on the Friday we went to the first doctor’s visit (three days after birth).  I had planned to shower and brush my hair before the 9:00 AM appointment, but that definitely did not happen. I did manage to get a dress on, and riding in the car on the way to the appointment I felt proud for getting clothes on and getting out of the house.  But once we got to the office, I saw other mothers with young babies who had brushed their hair and were wearing JEANS (looking back, they were probably 2-3 weeks post-partum, not 2-3 days), and the nurse who took us back to the room walked so fast, and I felt so slow and unable to keep up.  When we got to the room we had to undress Everett and of course he didn’t like that and started crying.  I started seeping silent tears right along with him, feeling slow, vulnerable, helpless, and overwhelmed.  In my mind, I could see the situation from the outside and knew that nothing was wrong – nothing that a lot of sleep and rest couldn’t fix.  I quickly recovered and the rest of the appointment and day went well, with me focusing on napping and resting.

For the first 7 days post-partum, I felt super, super exhausted and could just only muster the strength to shower in the mornings.  That was my big activity of the day, before I parked myself on the sofa until it was time to go upstairs in the evening for bed.  Again, physically I did not feel sick, but just consumed by an overwhelming tiredness (not to mention extreme soreness where I had gotten stitches).  It was difficult, but for the first 7-10 days, I had to accept that I could not physically do anything outside of care for my baby who mostly slept on my chest, only waking for feedings.  Around day 6 or 7, I started to get up and change Everett, or go to the fridge myself to fix breakfast.  Sometimes I would wonder if I wasn’t just being lazy or if I really needed to spend as much time on the sofa as I was, but then I would remember the kind of person I normally am.  The kind of person who gets up at 5:30AM before work to train for marathons (on Saturdays even!) is not the kind of person to waste the day away on the sofa if it wasn’t needed.  I had to trust that my body would tell me when I was able to do more.  Gradually, by two weeks post-partum, I was ready for a walk around the block (and then back to bed!), or a trip to my mother-in-law’s house for dinner (on the sofa!). 

Now, at three weeks and some change post-partum, I feel 60-70% recovered, and we plan our activities accordingly.  The morning is for waking up, feeding, showering, and eating breakfast.  By noon we are usually out of bed, showered, and ready to go.  Afternoons are for one activity (a friend coming by to visit, a trip to Jeni’s, figuring out some forms that need to be filled out) and a walk.  By around 5:00 or 6:00, it’s time to start thinking about dinner, which takes a while to put together, and then around 7:00, we eat and have relaxation time in which we might watch a movie.
Naked baby airing in the sun!

We're still working on mobile interest

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I’M DOING!

Motherhood has come with a steep learning curve and my lexicon is filled with all sorts of words I barely knew existed before.  I’ve been reading lots of books and local motherhood forums, etc. and felt super proud when I was able to properly diagnose Everett’s first little malady – thrush, or a yeast infection in his mouth.  On Sunday evening, I started to notice some white patches in his mouth and I immediately thought “Oh shit, he’s got thrush!” (Something I would have never known without prior research.)  Monday I tried natural remedy of acidophilus and yogurt in his mouth, but by Tuesday it seemed worse.  So I called the doctor, explained the symptoms to them, which they confirmed was indeed thrush, and by Tuesday afternoon we had filled little Everett’s first prescription (boy, that didn’t take long!)  By Wednesday, his mouth was looking much better!

For tomorrow’s doctor’s appointment, we had to research a vaccination they’re recommending for Hepatitis B – for which we’ve made our decision about.  (The decision is a private one that, after having done ample research, only Chad and I need to be comfortable with.)  The point is though, who has ever heard of these things!?  Thrush!  Hepatitis B vaccines!  Latching!  Pumping!  Oh yes, that’s right:  every mother, or parent out there.  Well, we’re just getting our feet wet with all these decisions, and we think we’re doing a pretty good job so far :)

SOME OF OUR FAVORITE MOMENTS {written by Daddy}
Things we love: naked baby butt in the sun

Things we love: just waking up in the morning

One of the most amusing and simple ways we have enjoyed spending much of our day is just watching Everett’s facial expressions haphazardly change from one serious look to another. Sometimes he will be relatively calm and not fussing, but have a very confused or angst-filled look on his face. This will slowly melt into a look of near-sleeping intoxication, which will melt into a slight grimace, a grunt, then ultimately resulting in a squirting sound coming from his diaper. This is one of the funniest things we witness on a daily basis!
"Geeze Mom and Dad!  You just don't get it!"

Another enjoyable part of our day is our daily walk, which is usually through our neighborhood, or sometimes to a nearby park. We strap Everett to one of our chests in our Moby Wrap, which usually puts him to sleep in minutes. Over the last couple weeks, our walks are gradually getting longer and longer as Mommy is healing and getting her strength back. We can’t wait until we can take Everett to a metro park for a short hike, or to pick berries this summer at a local U-pick farm, or to take him on his first camping trip, all of which we are going to try and accomplish this summer.
Things we love: going for walks

Things we love: more walks - a trip to OSU


 
Things we love: bath time faces!

No comments:

Post a Comment